In its simplest form an MES is a data collection and reporting tool which enables you to visualize plant wide information from your desktop using standard internet applications like Windows Internet Explorer.
Key performance indicators (KPIs) help you to optimize your production process while Line Efficiency and Downtime information ensure you get the most from your production assets.
The gold mine of real-time information present in an MES provides a solid foundation for continuous improvement in your production efficiencies. The ability to monitor information across your entire plant through one system ensures that you can quickly identify and address problem areas.
More complex implementations provide an integrated link between your ERP system and your plant floor. Information stored in your MES can include an equipment model, product specifications, production orders, materials information, production execution rules and laboratory information.
This integrated information provides an ideal environment to monitor and manage your production processes.
Industry surveys by ARM research (www.amrresearch.com) and Industry week magazine (www.industryweek.com) have shown that companies who implement and use an MES experience quantifiable changes in profitability, productivity and process performance. These can be summarized as follows:
- Reduced manufacturing cycle time by an average of 45%
- Reduced data entry time by 75% or more
- Reduced work in progress (WIP) by an average of 24%
- Reduced paperwork between shifts by an average of 61%
- Reduced lead time by an average of 27%
- Reduced paperwork and blueprint losses by an average of 56%
- Reduced product defects by an average of 18%